Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Tears and Triumphs (In One Project!)

It started like a dream turned into a nightmare but it all turned out ok in the end.

I wanted to make myself an Over the Shoulder Bag for our next family trip to Disneyland. I found the perfect tutorial on Noodlehead. I picked out some fabric from my stash and got to work early one Wednesday morning (we were going to Dland on Thursday). All was going well. I had to start and stop numerous times stretching this project out into an all day affair. It even went into the night and early the next morning!


Fold over top bag

I wanted a bag that would be sturdy so I decided (my first mistake) to line the interior and exterior fabrics with fusible fleece. It sure is sturdy! I didn't realize my mistake until I tried to attatch the straps with grommets as the pattern states. AFTER I cut holes in my strap AND my bag did I discover that grommets don't work on 4 layers of fabric on the seam and 2 layers of fusible fleece and a layer of heavyweight interfacing.


It was 3 AM and I was pounding so hard my grommet tool GOT STUCK!! I tugged and tugged but alas all that came loose was the strap through the hole in my bag. Now what was I supposed to do?! I had worked literally ALL DAY and NIGHT on this bag I didn't want to just toss it aside.

I cut the strap above the 2nd hole and re top stitched it. I then sewed (with much difficulty) the straps onto the bag, covering up the giant holes in the side. I learned why she used grommets to attatch her straps. Sewing them was very tricky.

After that was done and I was admiring my work I discovered that while in my zealous pounding I POUNDED A HOLE IN THE FRONT OF MY BAG! UGH! What else could go wrong!

I covered up the outside hole with some fabric I used Heat N Bond with and cut out a flower but it looked more like a splat. Didn't last long though at Dland. Need to recover it. Any suggestions?

The inside hole I left alone.


I did learn alot in making this bag. It was the first time I made a lining zipper pocket! Should have used a smaller zipper but it works!


On a quicker, happier (and definitely cuter due to the model!) note I quickly and successfully made a Sippy Cup Leash for the baby in between my bag making drama. It worked great! No more sippy cups on the filthy ground a million times a day! Or left behind while walking through crowds when it gets dropped from little hands. It worked great in the car seat too! Gonna make another so this one can stay in the car.

Sippy cup leash

Any sewing disasters happening in your world lately?

2 comments:

  1. Wow...what a project! You definately have determination!

    No disasters recently but I've got a deadline for the kids book character day on Thursday and that's usually when these things happen...under pressure.

    I love the sippy cup leash - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, don't stress too much, I've had days like that. A lot of days like that. It still looks good and unless you point out the flaws, no one will even notice:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading any feedback you have to give! I also like responding to all my commenters so please make sure your "no reply" is turned off. Have a blessed day!!