Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Phoebe Bag with Pants-style Front Pockets

Phoebe Bag with Pants-Style Front PocketsTA DA!

The Phoebe Bag (pattern from Rebekah of Artsy-Crafty Babe).

This bag is so cute if I do say so myself!! The pattern was very easy to follow and would not have taken long however....

Inside
....I have been seeing some very cute bags people have been making online with pants-style front pockets. I very much wanted to make my very own bag with those pockets! After searching and searching and searching and asking about how to make pants-style pockets on a purse and coming up empty. =( (Oh there were a couple of really cute patterns for sale that showed you how to do it but that takes $$$) I decided to strike out on my own and figure out how to do it myself.

As you can see I figured it out! It wasn't hard just very time consuming. There were so many pieces of fabric to cut out. Plus I wanted the bag to hold it's shape so there was also interfacing and thin batting to cut out.

AND to top it all off I wanted all the fabric pieces to line up. Both fabrics have the same design just different colors and I wanted it all to match up. Even the bag flap matches up.

Everything lines up so pretty!
There are only 2 things I would change on this bag. I would be more careful of my magnetic snap placement (it's a little too low so the bag can't be closed while brimming with stuff). And I would make the pants-style pockets a little bigger. The pockets just fit my hand going in but if you had a bigger hand you wouldn't be able to reach in.

The pattern called for a matching fabric strap that you make yourself. Since almost all purses you make yourself have those kind of straps I wanted something different. I found my cute silver link belt that I really don't wear much or at all and attached it to D rings on the purse. I can take it on or off. So if I wanted I could still make a fabric strap and add snaps to make the fabric strap removable as well so I can change the strap according to how I'm feeling that day. =)

I <3 Blue!
I had a lot of fun making this bag! Let me know what you think of it.
Since I couldn't find a "how-to" for the Pants-style pockets I may post a tutorial in the future depending on interest. Let me know. =) Have a great day!! Go make something!

4 comments:

  1. Wow - what a great bag! I love how you matched up the fabrics so well - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is SO cute! You are so creative to be able to figure these things out, like making the pockets. I'd be interested in the tutorial if you decide to write it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this bag - it looks great. And the addition of pant-style pockets on the front really suit it. I've been meaning to make the Pheobe bag too for some time...must get my skates on!!!
    Suzie :)

    (ps. - how funny that the 3 comments on this post are from Suzanne/Susan/Suzie!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the detail on this purse and how you matched all the pockets and the clasp. Very nice sewing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I enjoy reading any feedback you have to give! I also like responding to all my commenters so please make sure your "no reply" is turned off. Have a blessed day!!